On 19 May, US President Trump threatened Iran and said that a conflict would be the “official end” of Iran. The Saudi Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Adel al-Jubeir, told a news conference that Saudi Arabia didn’t want a war but if it was to happen, “the kingdom will respond with all force and determination.” The warnings follow last week’s attacks on Saudi oil tankers and the firing of a rocket on Sunday into Baghdad’s heavily fortified “Green Zone” that exploded near the US embassy. In response to these attacks, countries of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) launched “enhanced security patrols” in the Arabian Gulf area, working hand in hand with the US Navy. Iran has denied any involvement in either accident. Saudi Arabia’s King Salman invited Gulf and Arab leaders to convene emergency summits in Mecca on 30 May to discuss implications of the attacks, to which Qatar isn’t invited.
- The Euromed news are edited by the team of the Euro-Mediterranean Policies Department of the European Institute of the Mediterranean -