Call for Participants for a Dialogue Workshop “The Role of Russia in the Middle East and North Africa. Strategy or Opportunism?”
This Dialogue Workshop forms part of the activities implemented within the framework of the action “Euro-Mediterranean Political Research and Dialogue for Inclusive Policymaking Processes and Dissemination through Network Participation”, co-funded by the European Union and the European Institute of the Mediterranean (IEMed).
The workshop will be held on 12 October in Milan.
The objectives of this Dialogue Workshop are to present and discuss the initial research findings of the research group on “The Role of Russia in the Middle East and North Africa. Strategy and Opportunism”, led by ISPI – The Italian Institute for International Political Studies, and to secure the interaction between policy research and policy-making in order to contribute to more inclusive policy-making processes.
The discussions will be built on the following structure of contents:
– The interests of Putin’s Russia in the MENA region in historical perspective by Youssef Cherif, Deputy Director. Columbia Global Centers Tunis
– The 2010s: “grand strategy” or tactical opportunism? By Mira Milosevich, Senior Analyst. Elcano Royal Institute
– How is Russian presence influencing the balance of power and the posture of other players in the region? By Ziad Akl, Senior Researcher. Al-Ahram Center for Political and Strategic Studies – ACPSS
– How does “the West” perceive the Russian role in the MENA region? By Chiara Lovotti, Research Assistant, ISPI – The Italian Institute for International Political Studies & Eleonora Tafuro Ambrosetti, Research Fellow, ISPI – The Italian Institute for International Political Studies
– Russian in the MENA region: an economic perspective by Christopher Hartwell, Associate Professor, Bournemouth University
In this context, the IEMed together with ISPI – The Italian Institute for International Political Studies are launching a call for researchers from the EuroMeSCo network who would like to participate in the Workshop. Up to 7 researchers will be selected.
The travel and accommodation expenses of the selected researchers during the Dialogue Workshop will be covered by the IEMed.
The 7 selected researchers will be informed by 12 September and provided with detailed information about the logistics and operational aspects of the workshop.
DEADLINE TO SUBMIT APPLICATIONS
The Application Form, along with a CV, shall be submitted to Aleksandra Chmielewska at email@example.com by 9 September 2018.