EuroMeSCo "liaison officer": Mr. Cengiz Günay, Senior Fellow - Middle East and Turkish Studies and the Mediterranean
Specialised researchers on EuroMeSCo’s areas of study: John Bunzl, Senior Fellow – Middle East – Israel Palestine – Islamophobia; Hakan Akbulut, Fellow – Turkish Studies, Nuclear Proliferation, Army-Civil Relations in Turkey.
The Austrian Institute for International Affairs (oiip) is an independent, none-profit research center. The oiip was the first Institute in Austria to focus on globalization, European integration, comprehensive security, and the comparative study of international affairs. Established in 1978 by the then Chancellor Bruno Kreisky, the Institute has advised on public policy, conducted primary scientific research, supported the international academic exchange, and played a key role in hosting international conferences and as a venue for second track-diplomacy. Members of the Institute publish widely, are consulted by the government, and regularly feature in the national media. The Institute maintains a number of publications, and works closely with other national and international research institutions.
Areas of work
• Basic Research to questions of Comprehensive Human Security in International Relations and in Comparative Regional Research (Africa, Asia, Mediterranean and Turkey, Middle East, Russia, Central and Eastern Europe, South Eastern Europe, USA, and Western Europe);
• Applied Research and scientific policy advice;
Objective of the Euromed / Middle East programme
• The oiip acts as a platform for young researchers from all different areas of internationals relations;
• It regards itself as a Centre for dialogue between Austria and many regions of the world, including the Mediterranean;
• It is a Centre of reflection and debate;
• A think tank specialized in international relations and regional studies. The Mediterranean and particularly Turkey and the Middle East are research fields with special focus;
• The oiip is a promoter of cooperation and a contact point for many different organizations and think tanks from the Mediterranean;
• The oiip contributes to better mutual understanding.
Quarterly Newsletter, Wiener Schriften, Arbeitspapiere, Policy Papers, Publications in various international journals.
Add-on 2011: Viennese Contributions to International Affairs. 2011 Yearbook oiip
Membership to other networks
- European Consortium for Political Research - ECPR
- International Studies Association - ISA
- Trans European Policy Studies Association - TEPSA
- The European Council on Foreign Relations - ECFR
- European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes - EADI
- Assembly of Directors of european “International Relations Institutes”
- Represented by Director Otmar Höll in the scientific advisory council of Transparency International - Austrian Chapter since 2008
- Co-foundation of the section "Political Leadership" in ÖGPW by Director Otmar Höll
- Wissenschaftskonferenz Österreich
- Fissile Materials Working Group - FMWG
Austrian Institute for International Affairs, Berggasse 7, 1090 Wien
phone: 0043 1 581 11 06
If you would like to contact the focal point of this institute, please write to