Director and Executive Chairman of the Board of SWP: Volker Perthes
Head of Middle East and Africa Research Division: Muriel Asseburg (Mashreq, Middle East conflict; i.a. European and American Middle East policies; ESDP missions and operations)
EuroMeSCo liaison officer: Isabelle Werenfels
Specialized researchers on EuroMeSCo’s areas of study: Isabelle Werenfels (Maghreb; Euro-Mediterranean Partnership; Union for the Mediterranean, Desertec); Stephan Roll (Egypt); Wolfram Lacher (Libya); Guido Steinberg (Islamist terrorism, al-Qaeda); Annegret Bendiek (European Neighbourhood Policy); Kirsten Westphal (Desertec).
The Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik (SWP),“German Institute for International and Security Affairs”, was established in 1962 as an independent academic research centre. It conducts policy-oriented research on the basis of which it advises the Bundestag (the German parliament) and the federal government on foreign and security policy issues. The analyses and publications produced by SWP researchers, and their participation in national and international debates on key issues, help to shape opinion and feed into the decision-making process in their respective domains.
Areas of work
Euro-Mediterranean Affairs (UfM, ENP), Arab World, socio-economic and political developments in Arab countries.
Objectives of the Euromed/Middle East programme(s)
The reseach division is concerned with the Middle East and Africa.
Its work concentrates on
• Societal and political dynamics in states of the sub-regions as well as their implications for regional stability;
• Domestic and regional conflicts, regional cooperation and competition (shifts in regional balances of power, socio-political polarization in the Near / Middle East, the Horn of Africa and the Great Lakes Region);
• Fragile states; power-sharing arrangements as instruments of conflict management (for instance in Iraq, Sudan, the Palestinian territories, Lebanon, the DR Congo, etc.);
• Transnational phenomena - such as migration, Jihadism or piracy - and their repercussions in the fields of society, politics and security and,
• German and European policies towards the sub-regions.
Membership to other networks
Anna Lindh Foundation - FAL
If you would like to contact the focal point of this institute, please write to