President: Prof. Dr. Robert Kappel
Head of Mediterranean/Middle East programme: Dr. Hanspeter Mattes (GIGA Institute of Middle East Studies - GIGA IMES)
Specialised researchers on EuroMeSCo’s areas of study: André Bank, PD Dr. Martin Beck, Oliver Borszik (Doctoral Student), Jun.-Prof. Dr. Juliane Brach, Annette Büchs, Alexandr Burilkov (Doctoral Student), Prof. Dr. Henner Fürtig, Viola Lucas, Dr. Hanspeter Mattes, Dr. Thomas Richter, Dr. Stephan Rosiny.
EuroMeSCo liaison officer: Prof. Dr. Henner Fürtig
The GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies, formerly the German Overseas Institute, is a Hamburg-based research institute focused on political, economic and social developments in Africa, Asia, Latin America, North Africa, and the Middle East.
Through a unique combination of area and comparative area studies, the GIGA examines not only the issues and challenges facing these specific regions but also new developments in North-South and South-South relationships. GIGA`s research activities combine systematic and comparative area studies, within the framework of a two-dimensional organisational structure: specialists on different world regions are simultaneously assigned to four area studies research institutes and four overarching research programmes.
The GIGA is the largest German research institute for area and comparative area studies. It is also among the largest in Europe. In 2009 the GIGA opened its Berlin Office.
Areas of work
Focus on political, economic and social developments in Africa, Asia, Latin America, North Africa, and the Middle East.
Objectives of the Euromed/Middle East programme(s)
The GIGA Institute of Middle East Studies (GIGA IMES)
• Uses local documentation to produce empirically and theoretically based analyses of country- and region-specific events, while taking into account the perspective/s of the region under examination.
• Has the capacity to provide academically sound evaluations of current events.
• Develops new questions for the politically relevant evaluation of the political systems, societies and economies of the Middle East.
• Provides analysis and decision-making support to interested parties, both public and private, through its various research publications; for example, GIGA Working Papers, GIGA Focus Nahost and professional journals (see Publications). Knowledge transfer and political consulting are among the IMES´s main tasks.
Activities and publications
Please see: http://www.giga-hamburg.de/giga-focus/nahost
Membership to other networks
- Leibniz Association
- European Consortium for Political Research - ECPR
- National and regional association of African Studies in Europe - AEGIS
- Latin American Studies Associations - LASA
- European Alliance for Asian Studies - Asia Alliance
- German Middle East Studies Association for Contemporary Research and Documentation - DAVO
German Institute of Global and Area Studies - GIGA
Leibniz-Institut für Globale und Regionale Studien
Neuer Jungfernstieg 21
Phone: +49 (0)40 - 42825-593
Fax: +49 (0)40 - 42825-547
If you would like to contact the focal point of this institute, please write to